Re: [O] Refiling list items

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Refiling list items
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:47:33 -0400

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 19:03, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Where is the bug? As far as I can see, you're expecting a function
> designed for headlines only to operate on list items. Am I missing the
> point?

I'm approaching this as a user. I've made one contribution to this
project, and that was 3 or 4 lines of documentation. I don't know the
code base, I don't know the design principles, and I don't have the
time to teach it to myself.

So, as a user, I was expecting something to happen that didn't. That's
a bug. That may be a misuse of the term, and I apologize for using it
loosely.

Now perhaps I should have restated it as a "feature request" in the
follow up e-mail. That's probably more accurate, and that's what I'll
do now. The function isn't designed to work the way I thought it
would, so it would be nice if it worked that way. Really, list items
seem (to me) to be a perfectly natural extension. Maybe I'm just Doing
It Wrong (tm). :D

> Except that I was suggesting to turn these instructions into a function,
> not doing them manually.

A technique of which I'm woefully ignorant. I've made half-hearted
attempts once or twice in the past year to write my own functions, but
it isn't the best use of my time to learn elisp at the moment. A long
term goal, but nothing I can fix overnight. That's why Florian's code
was so welcome!

>> Of course, I can keep working for now, and I'll try Florian's code.
>> Maybe it might be adaptable to a robust function called
>> 'org-refile-list-item'? Thanks for listening!
>
> What would be the specifications of that function? Would it only send
> the item at point to the end of the headline specified through the
> refile interface?

I hope its clear that this is all above my head. I know enough to make
suggestions, but not contribute to implementing them. That makes me a
free-rider, but a free-rider that recognizes he's at the mercy of
others' talents.

Thanks for your patience, Nicolas.

--
Jeffrey Horn