Re: [O] Schedule event

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [O] Schedule event
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:08:17 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Jason Dunsmore <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Yes, that was my original reason.  But your suggestion of adding a
>> special keyword for events is another good reason.  Also, as recently
>> discussed, consistent formatting conventions and clarifying the
>> frequently-misunderstood issue of SCHEDULED vs. no-keyword active
>> timestamps are good reasons.
>
> I agree adding an EVENT: (or "APPT:") would be nice.

I just started struggling with this when trying to make ical exports.
(In my not-really-defined planning system :-) I have multiple kinds of
events:

  events that I wish to be aware of, and perhaps choose to go to, but I
  don't consider myself to have a plan to attend.   For this I use bare
  active timestamps.

  events that I am planning to attend, but which I feel reasonably free
  not to.  For this I'm using TODO and SCHEDULED: (which I am thinking
  is wrong).

  events/meetings that I am committed to attending.  For these I use
  APPT (a custom TODO sequence keyword) and SCHEDULED:

After writing the above, I think my use of SCHEDULED: for events is just
wrong, and I should use it only to label days (and perhaps times) that I
plan to complete TODO items, and then use APPT/active and TODO/active
for meetings and maybe-meetings.

> PS: it took me long to reply because I'm also considering using
> the property drawer to store timestamps like SCHEDULED, DEADLINE
> and so on.   But it is a big move and we can't delay your request
> by relying on such a change.

I almost always leave the property drawer collapsed, and it seems like
it hides things I don't want to see.  But I do want SCHEDULED, DEADLINE,
etc. to be very visible.    On the other hand, I would like the location
property to be hoisted to the first/second line, so perhaps putting them
all in the property drawer and having a customizable view where everyone
can see their preferred subset, formatted nicely, would be best.  Is
that more or less what you are suggesting?