Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:44:58 +0200

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:
> Thanks for the clarification. Because I didn't expect this at all it
> took me some time to understand that a local config affects also the
> diffs already committed, not only "git diff" of uncommitted changes.

Git doesn't "commit diffs", which is why this is working (and a frequent
source of confusion for people who don't know the architecture of Git).

> Neat.

One of those things that reassures me that Git has made the right
choices.

> But aren't there still things lost when one does this only locally?
> 1) The web browser view of the git repos
>    http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git, its delayed mirror
>    http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git and http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git
>    (for code/elisp/): Can be solved by configuring these three
>    repos locally.

I wouldn't know how to configure repo.or.cz (or any other mirror), but
it might be worth asking the maintainers of that site if they would
consider adding a global configuration.  Customizing the (global)
configuation on orgmode.org is at Jasons discretion, I guess.

> 2) When reading patches submitted to the mailing list: Here I don't
>    know the solution. In my simple trial, .gitattributes was not
>    available in its clone done afterwards.

Don't read them on the mailing list, then.  Apply them in Git and look
at them whichever way you want to.

Regards,
Achim.