Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typ

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:50:53 +0200

András Major <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why? You can always write an intermediary step to "stringify" every
>> cell. Choose your language. Nick Dokos showed you one way.
> Apparently, only if you set a global/per-user option in .emacs or suchlike,
> which I think is a bad way of doing it.
#+tblname: mixed-types

#+source: stringify(table=mixed-types)
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(concat "string[][] myvar={{"
         (lambda (row)
           (when (listp row)
             (concat (mapconcat (lambda (el) (format "\"%s\"" el)) row ",")

#+source: myplot
#+begin_src asymptote :noweb yes :file myplot.png

#+results: myplot

It may be ugly, but it works.

> I don't think this is misuse in any way.  Consider a table which is a
> result of your research:  the columns are the maker (e.g., "Mazda"), the
> type (e.g., "MX-5"), engine displacement (a number), the mileage/fuel
> consumption (a number), etc., and I want to create some asymptote plot
> from this data.

How would you would you specify it to Asymptote? You can't.

You would probably use:

                string[][] cars={{"Mazda","MX-5","1.5"}};

And that's exactly my point: engine displacement may be a number, but
you would have to enter it as a string.

Though, you insist on being able to enter it as a number anyway, hoping
ob-asymptote will do the magic behind. How could it, since the language
can't itself?

Perhaps there should be a way in Babel (not specifically in Asymptote)
to output a table with raw strings. Because want you really want to use

Nicolas Goaziou