Re: [O] Sorting Agenda By Priority

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Sorting Agenda By Priority
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:26:56 -0400

Richard Parsons <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I want to sort the agenda file so that the tasks marked with
> priorities A, B and C are all at the top, with tasks marked with no
> priority underneath.
>
> I've tried reading the manual on this
> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Sorting-of-agenda-items.html#Sorting-of-agenda-items),
> but don't understand it.  I'm guessing that I have to change the
> variable org-agenda-sorting-strategy somehow, but I'm not sure what
> to.
>
> Thanks for helping a new user!

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the org-mode community!

What you describe should be the default behaviour.  But items with no
priority default to B so you need to drop the default priority below the
items you normally set a priority for (ie D if A, B, and C are the only
priorities you use).

See org-default-priority, org-lowest-priority

,----[ example org file ]
| * TODO [#C] Priority C task
| * TODO [#B] Priority B task
| * TODO [#A] High priority task
| * TODO Some other task
|
| (setq org-default-priority ?D)
| (setq org-lowest-priority ?F)

`----

Result from M-x org-agenda < t

,----
| Global list of TODO items of type: ALL
| Available with `N r': (0)ALL (1)TODO (2)DONE
|   foo:        TODO [#A] High priority task
|   foo:        TODO [#B] Priority B task
|   foo:        TODO [#C] Priority C task
|   foo:        TODO Some other task
`----