Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:08:25 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Other than "colon confusion" (having to specify ``:results silent'' on
> > the src block header line and ``results silent'' in the #+PROPERTY line
> > to get the same behavior), this looks better. Not sure what (if
> > anything) can or should be done about the colons.
> >

> I don't know of a good solution for colons.  If we decided to add colons
> then the subtree property blocks would become akward, with entries like
>
> ** foo
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    ::results: silent
>    :END:
>
> I would say we could look for each value both with and without colons,
> but property searches of this nature are slow and doubling the speed
> impact simply for allow colon flexibility doesn't seem to be a good
> tradeoff.  I think this will just have to be something that users will
> need to learn.

I agree[fn:1]: the point is to simplify the code, not complicate it
*and* slow down everything at the same time.  Maybe the header args
section of the manual can use the "colon as delimiter" method to explain
the equivalent forms and that will suffice.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] ...but I take some perverse pleasure from the fact that both
Suvayu and Seb asked the question :-)