Re: [O] TABLES: Remove/add cell

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] TABLES: Remove/add cell
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:13:50 +0100

Hi Gustav and Daniel

2011/9/30 Michael Brand <address@hidden>:
> [...] transpose [...]
> and split it into two (or three) tables:
>
> | a | b | c | d |
>
> | 1 | 3 | 4 |   |
>
> (| e | f | g | h |)
>
> Then you can use the very convenient editing functions of Org table on
> the second part of the table,

to move the empty field in front of "3"

| a | b | c | d |

| 1 |  | 3 | 4 |

| e | f | g | h |

> join the parts together

| a | b | c | d |
| 1 |   | 3 | 4 |
| e | f | g | h |

> and transpose again.

By coincidence just today I had the same need to move or rotate
columns left/right, without affecting the other rows above and below.
Because I need this repeatedly I wrote two in-row functions derived
from org-table-move-column, without the need anymore of splitting and
joining the table like above.

It supports only the direction left/right. The direction up/down
Gustav asked for would be harder to implement but as a workaround you
can still transpose
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#transpose-table
and use the in-row left/right.

from another thread:
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 14:31, Daniel Martins <address@hidden> wrote:
> The feature of remove/add cell is quite important. Should be a feature
> request.

If I understand right and only for left/right, the in-row functions
cover that too:
- remove: first blank the field with "C-c Space"
  (org-table-blank-field) and then rotate in-row left
- add: rotate in-row right and replace the field content, before this
  step append new columns if required

For more see
"Change the column sequence in one row only" on Worg hacks:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#column-sequence-in-row

Michael