Re: [O] [Orgmode] Feature request: IDs on anything

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [Orgmode] Feature request: IDs on anything
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:13:05 -0700

Hi sindikat,

On 2011-11-27, sindikat <address@hidden> wrote:
> I really love this idea of ID markers. It would open so
> many opportunities for semantic extensions of org-mode and
> not only. Using ID markers we can
> management could be made out of that. Every ID marker will
> effectively become a graph vertice.

Yes, you got it.  Wherever an ID marker is, that place is a
graph vertex.

Because it uses Org IDs, it is pretty unbreakable and can be
linked to across files.  If you move it, you don't have to
change anything that points to it.

You can change how an ID marker looks by adding a keyword
argument (like :label or :face) to the marker.

===

As you suggest, the arguments can let you point to other
markers to create arbitrary graph structures.

Among other things, this allows =unbreakable bidirectional
links=.  IMO these potentially solve a few unaddressed
aspects of the =tree problem= (my term for the fact that
ideas and tasks naturally form a graph but outlines form a
tree).  Especially with the right label code.  RET bounces
between the ends.

Of course, this is vaporware as.  It's been discussed in a
bunch of threads.  Perhaps you would be willing to try
implementing it.

Samuel

===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.