[O] Org-drill doesn't work...

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: [O] Org-drill doesn't work...
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:44:16 +0100

hi all,

i'm trying to set up org-drill for learning some russian vocabulary, but i'm not
very successful... i've created an org file that meets the requirements of a
proper org-drill file. i have a bunch of entries that look like this:

** Nomen                                                              :drill:

   :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
   :ID:       9927d8c4-1692-4784-9afc-9e4a770a62c8

*** Deutsch

*** Russisch

    о́сень (f)

*** Beispiele

    im *Herbst*

    nächsten *Herbst*
    сле́дующей *о́сенью*

    letzten *Herbst*
    про́шлой о́сенью

of course, the ID was added by org-drill, not by me. after creating the file,
the first run of org-drill seemed to be fine. i was prompted for a couple of
items, maybe five or so, and after i had finished, emacs told me the results.

however, trying to run org-drill the next day, i got the following message:

0 items reviewed. Session duration 0:00:00.
Recall of reviewed items:
 Excellent (5):       0%   |   Near miss (2):        0%
 Good (4):            0%   |   Failure (1):          0%
 Hard (3):            0%   |   Abject failure (0):   0%

You successfully recalled 0% of reviewed items (quality > 2)
0/1 items still await review (0 failed, 0 overdue, 0 new, 0 young, 0 old).
Tomorrow, 0 more items will become due for review.
Session finished. Press a key to continue...

i wasn't prompted for any new items and the message "tomorrow, 0 more items will
become due for review" worries me.

also, running org-drill-again gives me the same message.

i'm sure i'm doing something wrong, but i can't figure out what... would
appriciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

Org-mode version 7.8.02 (and org-drill included with it), GNU Emacs 23.3.1.

btw, i noticed that some of the customize items in org-drill.el are incorrectly
defined. for example, the :type declaration in
org-drill-spaced-repetition-algorithm is:

  :type '(choice (const 'sm2) (const 'sm5) (const 'simple8))

but the symbols shouldn't be quoted:

  :type '(choice (const sm2) (const sm5) (const simple8))

there are one or two more cases like this. they're labelled in the customize
buffer as "MISMATCH".

Dr. Joost Kremers
Seminar für Deutsche Philologie
Käte-Hamburger-Weg 3