Re: [O] Bugs/features of accumulating property values when used with ent

From: Christoph LANGE
Subject: Re: [O] Bugs/features of accumulating property values when used with entries (concretely: in org-contacts)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:17:02 +0100

Hi Seb,

thanks for your help!

Christoph LANGE<address@hidden>  writes:
2. accumulation doesn't work within the same entry; details follow:

So when I changed the above contact entry to

* Contact Name
   :PROPERTIES:
   :EMAIL:    address@hidden
   :EMAIL+:   address@hidden
   :END:

I would have expected (org-entry-get (point) "EMAIL" t) to evaluate to, well,

at least "address@hidden address@hidden" (and in some later version of org-mode

maybe to a two-item list, for even easier automated processing).  But I got

the following unexpected results, which indicate that accumulation is not yet

supported in this context (well, if it was ever _intended_…):

… AFAIK the `+' is only supported at this
stage for the `var' property: you can't take any property and add a `+' to

transform it in an accumulative property.

Whether this should be restricted by default or open by default, I have no

opinion at this stage.

If it is intended to be limited to the "var" property, then at least the
documentation ("Property syntax") needs fixing, as it states generally:

   If you want to add to the value of an existing property, append a
`+' to the property name.

But thanks a lot for pointing this out:

I know, however, multivalued properties are sort of already well supported.

See http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-the-property-API.html for more info.

Cheers,

Christoph

--