Re: [O] [patch] Add test-run capability to Makefile

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [patch] Add test-run capability to Makefile
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:51:27 -0700

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Martyn Jago <address@hidden> writes:
>> Since the Makefile is currently getting a refresh I thought it would be
>> very useful to allow running of the regression test suite directly from
>> make using `make test'.
>
> Good idea, I just added it to my Makefile fork as well.

Very cool, I anticipate using this feature with great frequency.

>> The following patch achieves this and allows a user to run the
>> regression test suite on the their system following installation. This
>> makes it super-easy for a user to validate their latest org-mode
>> installation.
>
> Four tests require htmlize, which is a non-standard package (and can't
> be found on my system in batch mode unless I direct Emacs to load my
> .emacs anyway).  It would be nice if the tests would expectedly fail if
> htmlize can't be found, maybe with an additional message in the summary
> that full coverage hasn't been reached due to missing libraries.

If the following simple macro is added to org-test.el,

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defmacro depends-upon (feature deftest)
    (declare (indent 1))
    (if (featurep feature)
        `,deftest
      `(ert-deftest ,(cadr deftest) () :expected-result :failed (should nil))))
#+end_src

Then the offending tests can be wrapped in `depends-upon' forms, e.g.

(depends-upon htmlize
  (ert-deftest should-have-htmlize ()
    (should (featurep 'htmlize))))

If you have the names of the offending tests this should be a simple
fix.  I'm happy to apply this to the test suite, but I don't know which
four tests rely upon htmlize.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte