Re: [O] Agenda buffer and relative links

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda buffer and relative links
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:16:23 +0100

Hi François,

François Pinard wrote:
> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> François Pinard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> When Org mode defines a link for me, it sometimes changes it so it
>>> becomes relative.  [...] This is OK in general, but not always.
>>> [...]  I have feeling that there is something deeper which might
>>> likely affect many Org mode users, and for which I have no general
>>> solution to offer.
>
>> Check
>>    (info "(org) Handling links")
>> in the manual, particularly the doc for C-u C-c C-l.
>
> Hi, Nick, and gang.
>
> Yes, I knew about prefixes to C-c C-l, which may be used to force links
> to be absolute.  Systematic use of C-u C-u C-c C-l instead of C-c C-l
> would be tedious, that's why I think there is a deeper problem about the
> current defaults.
>
> There is a virtue in relative links which I recognize.  So having an
> option to force all links to be absolute might not be a solution.
> Having all links relative just cannot work.  Letting the user properly
> manage is quite error-prone, and fairly annoying at least.

Would this help you?

    ┏━━━━
    ┃ org-link-file-path-type is a variable defined in `org.el'.
    ┃ Its value is adaptive
    ┃
    ┃ Documentation:
    ┃ How the path name in file links should be stored.
    ┃ Valid values are:
    ┃
    ┃ relative  Relative to the current directory, i.e. the directory of the
file
    ┃           into which the link is being inserted.
    ┃ absolute  Absolute path, if possible with ~ for home directory.
    ┃ noabbrev  Absolute path, no abbreviation of home directory.
    ┃ adaptive  Use relative path for files in the current directory and sub-
    ┃           directories of it.  For other files, use an absolute path.
    ┗━━━━

Best regards,
  Seb

--