Re: [O] how to get \circ symbol in odt export?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] how to get \circ symbol in odt export?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:22:11 +0000

Carson Chittom <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I usually export to PDF via LaTeX.  One of the symbols I use a lot is
>>> the degree symbol (as in degrees C) and typically do this with a
>>> latex-ism:
>>>
>>>   ^{\circ}C
>>>
>>> This doesn't export well to ODT.  Can anybody suggest what I can use
>>> that would?  Using "^{o}C" works but doesn't look very nice (lower case
>>> o is not a circle, more of an oval).
>>>
>>> Not a critical issue but I *am* curious!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> eric
>>
>> I've answered my own question: simply resort to UTF characters!
>> Replacing ^{\circ} with the DEGREE SIGN unicode character (°) does the
>> trick for both latex/pdf and odt exports!  *And* looks good in the org
>> buffer as well.
>
> For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that Scott Pakin's
> Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List[1] lists several packages which include
> \degree or something similar.
>
> [1] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/

Thanks Carsten; this is a useful link indeed for latex users!

I'm not sure if any of these symbols, in general, export well to ODT?
At least the UTF solution seems to work in my specific case!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.106.gc835)