Re: [O] [ANN] ASCII back-end for new export engine

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] ASCII back-end for new export engine
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:29:04 -1000

> Hello,
>
> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I have no objection to implement limited numbering in both LaTeX and
>>> ASCII back-ends, but I'd like to know if it can be handled consistently
>>> in every other major back-end, too. I'm CC-ing Jambunathan to know his
>>> opinion about it.
>>
>> I can support this in ODT exporter. We can make this a feature of the
>> new export engine.
>
> I've now implemented this for e-latex and e-ascii back-ends.

Great!  This works nicely for me.

>>> It would require to modify Org's syntax (how to tell which headline has
>>> to be numbered and which has not?). It is not possible at the moment.
>>
>> Let us not support this.
>
> I tend to agree here. This can be obviously discussed on the list,
> detail specifications and so on, but I'd rather postpone any real coding
> in this area until new exporter is installed in core.

Yes, this is not a burning issue.  In my experience, use of \section*
etc. is not frequent.  It is certainly not a reason to keep the new
exporter from moving toward the Org mode core.

Thanks for making the num: option really useful for LaTeX export.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye