Re: [O] Google Tasks Integration

From: Patrick Brennan
Subject: Re: [O] Google Tasks Integration
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:31:03 -0800

Hi Eric,

Here is the script. It's pretty simple. There is no facility for synchronizing an org-mode file as yet. I think the best way to do the sync would be to do it when pushing an org-mode file to Google Tasks.

Tell me how you like this and if it works well for you.

Patrick

PS:

** Requirements:
  - Python 2.6. This is the version I am using, and I am not sure if an earlier
    version will work.
  - setuptools. This is necessary in order to install the Google API for Python.
    Get setuptools from here:
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#downloads
    I downloaded the egg package
    (http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg#md5=bfa92100bd772d5a213eedd356d64086),
    set it to +x and run it
    sudo ./setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg
  - Google Tasks API for Python.
    Use easy_install per this page:
    http://code.google.com/p/google-api-python-client/wiki/Installation
    sudo easy_install --upgrade google-api-python-client

Thanks,
Patrick

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
Patrick Brennan <address@hidden> writes:

> This weekend, while trying to avoid doing any real work, I started noodling
> around with the Google Tasks API and I got a respectable distance toward a
> script which will read your Google Tasks and export them to Org-mode.
> Currently it will capture the task title, the notes, the todo status (TODO
> or DONE) and the hierarchy, i.e. child tasks will be correctly placed under
> their parents. There's still a lot of polish to apply, and of course, there
> is no bidirectional capability as yet. Still, I wanted to send out this
> notice in case anyone wanted to compare notes or thought it might be an
> interesting application to share. The mobile apps for Google Tasks are
> quite good, and if I can get a really good export going, I think this will
> actually provide a plausible alternative workflow to the existing MobileOrg
> flow.
>
> Patrick

I would be very interested in this.  I have links to and from google
calendar for appointments but could not figure out how to do either
direction for TODO items.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.283.g171ea)