Re: [O] [BABEL] Redirect stderr to stdout?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [BABEL] Redirect stderr to stdout?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:23:09 -0700

Viktor Rosenfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> Currently the only action Babel takes with STDERR is to display it in a
>> pop-up buffer when code block evaluation fails.
>
> On my system (OS X) the buffer does not popup. I just tried
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh
> echo foo 1>&2
> #+END_SRC

That is because the evaluation did not fail, try

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
echo foo 1>&2
exit 1
#+END_SRC

> in Aquamacs and Cocoa Emacs. Strangely, the output seems to be lost
> entirely.

I don't pretend to understand the many oddities of Aquamacs, and I don't
know what Cocoa Emacs is.

> Normally, stderr is captured in another buffer which I have to open
> manually.
>
>> It would certainly be
>> possible to add :results header argument to incorporate STDERR into
>> results (and this desire has been expressed previously).  Reasonable
>> combination options would likely include (at least) the following.
>>
>> | stderr-only | return stderr instead of stdout    |
>> | 2>&1        | interleave stderr and stdout       |
>> | concat      | add stderr to the end of stdout    |
>> | list        | return a list of stderr and stdotu |
>>
>> The best (read simple and extensible) implementation and syntax for this
>> behavior is not obvious to me (and I simply don't have time).  If you
>> (or anyone on the list) have any interest in hacking elisp code the
>> place to start would be `org-babel-eval' for a serious implementation,
>> or an quick hack may be possible through customization of the
>> `org-babel-eval-error-notify' function.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Okay, thanks. My elisp skills are very rudimentary and this is beyond
> me. Maybe somebody else will pick it up if the interest is big enough.

This feature has been requested previously on the mailing list, so there
is certainly demand.  As always demand outstrips development resources.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/