Re: [O] How to sort table in blocks.

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] How to sort table in blocks.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:13:32 +0100

Hi Debaditya,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 01:47, Debaditya Mukhopadhyay
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 2. I would like to sort the table based on date, but instead of sorting each
> line is it possible to sort by block (defined by the horizontal lines.)?

What you are asking about is a table.el table. You can use those with
org, but the support is spotty at best. You will loose the ability use
table formulae, sorting or even nice export to multiple backends. In
short, the answer is "no you can't".

That said, I believe you can put the multiple lines in one long line
and specify how wide the column can be so it appears to be small and
neatly folded in buffer. While editing you can call org-edit-special
and edit the long line conveniently. You also retain all the other
awesome org table features.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu