Re: [O] Mail composed using emacs --- saving a copy in an org file.

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Mail composed using emacs --- saving a copy in an org file.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:19:48 -0400

Alan E. Davis <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am partial to just opening a mail buffer and writing email in
> Emacs.  Just that.  However, it would be great to save a copy in an
> org file.

Are you using an emacs package to send email? Or are you just composing
your email in emacs, saving it as a file and sending it with some
external MUA?

If the former, you can probably find a hook that the emacs package uses
(e.g. for mh-e, the appropriate hook would probably be
mh-before-send-letter-hook), so that you can save the email in a file,
possibly after transforming it suitably.

In some sense this is similar, but in another sense opposite, to Jos'h
Fuller's suggestion: in his scenario, you use org-capture to compose the
message and use an org-capture hook to transform it suitably and
actually send it; in this scenario, you compose the mail in some mail
package (there are several) and you use a hook that the mail package
provides to transform it suitably and save it in some org file.

OTOH, if you use an external MUA, Jos'h 's approach might still work
whereas this one has no hope. But if you can live in emacs, why live
anywhere else? :-)

Nick