Re: [O] Worg = Ikiwiki + Org? (was Re: Usage of disqus instead of mailin

From: sam kleinman
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:45:27 -0400

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 03:10:33AM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Long shot: is making worg more wiki-like practical?
>
> Worg = Ikiwiki + Org?
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-12/msg00431.html
>
> It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Ikiwiki folks to support Org-mode
> natively.  I dropped a note to them a few weeks ago, btw.
> --

I'm a quasi-active user of Ikiwiki, so will opine without invitation on
the subject:

There is a way to parse org-files using the org perl module (which may
have been written for this purpose in ikiwiki. Getting this setup
wouldn't be hard and I could pretty easily get this running/setup (and
I'd be willing to host it.)

The major limitation with using non-markdown text in Ikiwiki is that
ikiwiki is built with the assumption that html can be injected into the
_source_ material before the markup processor runs, and the markup
processor will ignore the html. (This is how the wiki links work in
ikiwiki.)

Now it's possible to run ikiwiki without the link plugin, to disable
this behavior, but then you're left without much of a wiki. I'm not sure
what other kinds of generated content is broken if you can't inject
HTML, but I'd guess most of it.

Once you start cutting I think you basically end up with a web-based
editor, and a half decent incremental rebuild system. (but only half
decent.) Therefore, if having Worg built using org-mode syntax/files is
important to you, the current solution or some variant thereon is
probably the best bet...

Cheers,
sam

--