Re: [O] org-program-exists vs executable-find

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] org-program-exists vs executable-find
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:13:56 +0200

Sebastien Vauban writes:
> Why not replacing it simply by `executable-find': I don't see what it
> adds to it?  I would not say so if it was some upper abstraction, but
> I do feel they're simply the same.

In principle, executable-find should (only) be used if the program in
question is called directly from Emacs.  If you invoke a shell to call a
program, then that shell might have a completely different idea of what
your path is and see different executables, so you'd have to check via
the shell in this instance or provide the full absolute filename that
executable-find gave you to the shell (which may have other problems
when the path in Emacs and shell are indeed different).

Regards,
Achim.