Re: [O] Exporting to ACM format using new LaTeX exporter

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting to ACM format using new LaTeX exporter
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:19:27 -1000

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> * Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> One of the ideas behind the new exporter is that Org-mode source
>> prepared for one target can be easily exported to other targets.
>
> I see.
>
>> My brief experience with the LaTeX exporter so far has been very
>> positive and I'm relatively certain that it will be the default
>> export engine in the not too distant future.  If the ACM template
>> is written for the new exporter, then its use life will likely be
>> enhanced.
>
> Right.
>
>> Also, I agree with Jambunathan's comment that exercising the new
>> exporter on a practical project might possibly indicate how it
>> could be made better.
>
> To what extent does the new exporter differ from the features
> described in the documentation and the tutorial?
>
> Where is the new exporter described? I could only find [1].
>
>> On a practical note, using the new exporter is easy.  I have these
>> two lines (along with other configuration) in an Org-babel code
>> block that I use to setup Org-mode:
>>
>>     (require 'org-export) (require 'org-e-latex)
>>
>> Then, I can access the dispatcher with M-x org-export-dispatch and
>> choose the target.  It feels easy and natural from the get go.
>
> So no more «C-c C-e d»?
You could bind those familiar keystrokes to the new command, if you like.

> OK, you convinced me that it would be better to use the new method
> then. As you can see in my naive questions: I am not really familiar
> withe the old exporter and neither with the new one. So using the
> (good) documentation on the old one, I planned to contribute to this
> template as much as possible. But I am not sure whether I can
> contribute to the new one.

AFAICT, the new exporter preserves most of the interface of the old
exporter, but smooths over some of the rough edges.  It shouldn't
represent a barrier to your contribution.  In fact, it might be useful
to write a template for both exporters, then document how they differ as
a guide to using the new exporter.

I took a brief look at the ACM web site and saw that there is more than
one LaTeX template.  Which one are you interested in for Org-mode?

Do you have a repository for the project?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye