Re: [O] "# <<tag>>" should stick to the following text

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] "# <<tag>>" should stick to the following text
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 20:41:13 -0400

> "# <<tag>>" is a deprecated construct.

Sigh!  I just spent a few hours adding many of those and making sure
everything is regular.

When some feature is being deprecated, the Org manual should tell us,
then ! :-) And at least where that feature is documented.  Currently,
the manual says:

  The preferred match for a text link is a dedicated target: the same
  string in double angular brackets.

This is not ultra clear to me, my English is not ultra solid either.  I
interpreted it as meaning that the preferred way for a text link was
such "# <<tag>>" constructs, that is, all the contrary of a deprecation.

> I suggest to avoid bothering with it.

I'll adapt of course, but to what?  If not "# <<tag>>", then what is the
way to create a named anchor at an arbitrary place in an Org file?

Explicit HTML code?  That does not look at all like an improvement:

 1. it would be limited to HTML,
 2. Org will not likely not follow links to these from within Emacs,
 3. if explicit HTML is introduced through specialized Org comments,
    they suffer exactly from the edit problem "# <<tag>>" demonstrated,
    being tied to the preceding text instead of the following text.

So, Nicolas, I would surely avoid bothering with this problem, but I do
not feel I have that choice (yet).  I hope the letter I wrote at the
beginning of this little thread is not going to be dismissed or ignored.

François