Re: [O] Language identifiers

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Language identifiers
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:17:27 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

>> If the real source of the manual was in Org format, and periodically and
>> mechanically turned into a Texinfo file, would the requirement be met?

> Yes, but somebody would have to write a good texinfo exporter.

Oh!  I did not even know that none exist yet.  Well, indeed, that's a
problem! :-)

Ah!  If I only had more time, I would dive right away and start writing
one.  *Still dreaming awake*, that would be a wonderful opportunity for
me to learn the new exporter which, according to what I've read on this
list, fixes an opinion about what is the proper structural analysis of
an Org file.  My usual language is Python, which I came to much prefer
over Emacs Lisp, years ago.  Proof is that I once wrote something so I
can extend Emacs with Python instead of Lisp.  A good way to study the
new exporter's opinion would be for me to write a Python parser which
yields exactly the same analysis.  That parser could usefully replace
many Python scripts here which decipher Org files according to my mental
fuzzy approximations of its syntax.  Second, writing a Texinfo exporter
would be a pleasurable incentive to check its usefulness. :-)

Sigh!

François