Re: [O] Org Properties and tab completion issues

From: dlc
Subject: Re: [O] Org Properties and tab completion issues
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:36:18 -0500

Problems:
1. If the property is not yet used on an entry, tab completion only
shows "property_ALL" instead of "property", and of course there is no
completion on possible values.

There was a small bug here -- please pull from git and test.
Thanks for reporting this.

2. inherited properties - Where is the GENRES property and the
inheritance?

I don't understand.

The manual gives an example of an inherited property (GENRES in the discography example) but (org-entry-properties) does not return it. Is there a different function for this? From the function description:

"(org-entry-properties &optional POM WHICH SPECIFIC)

Get all properties of the entry at point-or-marker POM.
This includes the TODO keyword, the tags, time strings for deadline,
scheduled, and clocking, and any additional properties defined in the
entry.  The return value is an alist, keys may occur multiple times
if the property key was used several times.
POM may also be nil, in which case the current entry is used.
If WHICH is nil or `all', get all properties.  If WHICH is
`special' or `standard', only get that subclass.  If WHICH
is a string only get exactly this property. SPECIFIC can be a string, the
specific property we are interested in.  Specifying it can speed
things up because then unnecessary parsing is avoided. "

By the way, how is WHICH different from SPECIFIC?

3. Is there a way to display only some of the STANDARD properties
along with my custom properties in the completion buffer?

Nope.  I think completion is handy enough like this, but perhaps I
misunderstand the request.

There are about 28 STANDARD properties, if I add 30 custom properties, the completion list becomes overwhelming. Is there a way to to hardcode the completion list to just the properties I want it to offer?

HTH,

--
Bastien

Thanks Bastien!!