Re: [O] Converting Org to Sweave (*.Rnw)

From: cberry
Subject: Re: [O] Converting Org to Sweave (*.Rnw)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:05:14 -0700

Julian Gehring <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to convert Org-mode files with R code blocks to the
> Sweave ('*.Rnw') [1] file format or has anyone planned to work on
> this?

First, there is this thread:

       http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/7931

and then there is this

    http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/org/

====

But I wanted more, and I think the new exporter provides some awesome
possibilities, so...

I have put together a rudimentary exporter for Sweave and for brew style
chunks and hope to have several of the knitr chunk flavors supported
soon. I've not looked closely, but I think pander can be supported, too.

The basic idea is to use the new export engine. See

    http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html

for background.

The e-latex, e-html, and other modes are used as parent backends and
e-latex-rnw, e-html-brew, etc are *derived* backends. It is pretty easy
to hitch a ride on the work done to make a parent backend and then add a
minimal definition of the chunk formatting.

The only tricky bit is getting Babel to help in the process, but not
interfere. I want Babel to porcess non-R src blocks and clean out R
#+RESULTS blocks, but not strip out the header args, as these may be
wanted (as you suggest below) to inform the chunk arguments. I've
managed this by advise'ing org-babel-exp-do-export to do special
handling of R src blocks.

I've not yet delved into translating the headers into code chunk
arguments. Some like 'width' seem pretty obvious. Others like the
:exports + :results translation may take some thought. And there are
some idioms in Sweave and kntir that have not corresponding idiom in org
(which is a strong motive for doing this work) like 'dev' in knitr as
well as ':cache yes' versus 'cache=T', which are false cognates, so to
speak

So far, what I've done is do add a header arg like this:

   Here is an inline chunk: src_R{ rnorm(1) } which the brew export
   renders as <%= rnorm(1) -%> (i.e. print the result, but do not place
   a line break after the result), making a non-printing version of this
   is done by using this src_R[ :ravel <% -%> ]{ rnorm(1) }, which
   renders as <% rnorm(1) -%>.

or this

:   #+name: aCachedChunk
:   #+begin_src R :ravel cache=T
:   x <- rnorm(1e7)
:   #+end_src

which is rendered as

<<aCachedChunk, cache=T>>=
x <- rnorm(1e7)
@ %def

when using the Sweave style exporters.

However, Nicolas *just* added support for #+ATTR_SOMETHING, where
SOMETHING is a user defined key. And I incline to the view that using
something like

:   #+attr_ravel: cache=T
:   #+name: aCachedChunk
:   #+begin_src R
:   x <- rnorm(1e7)
:   #+end_src

might be preferred.

Anyway, I'll try to get a version up where you can have a look at it
sometime today.

I am keen to collaborate on this.

Chuck

--
Charles C. Berry                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
cberry at ucsd edu                          UC San Diego