Re: [O] Nice theorem display ?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Nice theorem display ?
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:52:50 -1000

Joon Kwon <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new orgmode user and I am really enjoying it, especially for
> writing LaTeX documents.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a simple way to make the buffer display
> theorem environements (for instance) in a nice way...
>
> For instance, if I have the following code :
> #+begin_theorem
> My theorem
> Bla bla bla
> #+end_theorem
>
> I would like the buffer to display something like :
>
> Theorem :
>  | My theorem
>  | Bla bla bla
>  +----
>
> I guess this must not be difficult for elisp programmers ...
>
> Joon

Aloha Joon,

Welcome to Org mode.

The #+begin_theorem ... #+end_theorem pair doesn't appear in the Org
mode manual.  Presumably, you are using org-special-blocks to generate
\begin{theorem} ... \end{theorem} environments in LaTeX?  IIUC, then
this means you have declared \newtheorem{theorem}{LabelText} somewhere,
so that a structure like \begin{theorem} ... \end{theorem} will actually
be compiled by LaTeX?  This is almost certainly an unusual use case and
it is not likely that it is one that could be anticipated by the Org
mode software.

A more typical use case is something like this:

#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\begin{equation}
\alpha \dots \omega
\end{equation}
#+END_LaTeX

Org mode recognizes this as a LaTeX fragment.  With point inside the
fragment, pressing C-c C-x C-l will generate a preview and display it in
your Org mode buffer.  The operation can be reversed with C-c C-c.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy writing LaTeX documents in Org mode.  This is
something I enjoy, too.  Org mode will soon become a much more powerful
environment for authoring LaTeX (and other) documents, when Nicolas
Goaziou's "new exporter" moves fully into the Org mode core.

hth,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye