Re: [O] comma as decimal point: bug?

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] comma as decimal point: bug?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:44:51 +0200

* Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Rainer Thiel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have seen that as of v. 7.9, org tables are supposed to accept
>> commas as decimal points which is useful if you set up tables to be
>> used in in files where continental conventions are expected to be
>> followed.
>
> Actually, this more subtle. Tables recognize numbers with a comma as the
> decimal mark. But it only means such numbers will be properly aligned to
> the right. Internally, calculations still require dot separator.

When I read the change-list of Org, I bet that there *will* be
problems because of this cosmetic change :-)

>From user experience perspective, it is quite clear that «Org
recognizes numbers with commas» will be mixed up with «Org can
calculate with numbers containing commas». You can not make this
clear - even with renaming the settings variable.

Although I totally understand that numbers with commas should be
made possible (I am a German speaking guy) I guess there will be
even more issues in the future as long as cosmetics and
functionality is not aligned.

Just my 2 cents ...

--
Karl Voit