Re: [O] Notifications of appointments in Agenda screen?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Notifications of appointments in Agenda screen?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:39:12 -0400

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> wrote:

> I seem to recall a feature in org-mode that would show
> notifications for upcoming appointments, scheduled items,
> deadlines, etc. in Emacs itself.  For example the status bar
> would have a red notification saying "Dr Appointment in 15 minutes".
>
> I'm looking all over, and all I can find are posts about how to set
> up org-notify to call some external messaging app.  I'm on OSX and
> don't want to purchase "Growl".

The appt.el part of the calendar/diary application that's built into
emacs can certainly do that. See e.g.

      http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#org-agenda-appt-zenity

but instead of using Russell's settings

,----
| ; Setup zenify, we tell appt to use window, and replace default function
| (setq appt-display-format 'window)
| (setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))
`----

use

(setq appt-display-format 'echo)

or use the default setting of appt-disp-window-function which displays
in an emacs window.

Nick