Re: [O] PDF docs from Org-mode: not valid PDF?

From: Michael Hannon
Subject: Re: [O] PDF docs from Org-mode: not valid PDF?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:38:04 -0800 (PST)

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael Hannon <address@hidden> writes:

>> Greetings.  The woman that runs our research group complains that she is
>> unable to print PDF documents that a couple of us in the group send her, and
>> that the two of us are the only source of such troublesome documents.
>>
>> It occurred to me that the two of us are the only ones in the group that use
>> Emacs Org-mode to produce PDF documents.

> pdftex and other usual tools to convert from .tex to .pdf
> do not validate PDF/A, as Karl said.
>
> Here are some information on how to make a .tex that will
> validate:
>
> http://support.river-valley.com/wiki/index.php?title=Generating_PDF/A_compliant_PDFs_from_pdftex

> I'm not in favor of importing this machinery into our LaTeX
> exporter.

Thanks, Bastien.  Interesting link.  I agree: I don't see that it would be
desirable to incorporate this into the LaTeX exporter.

My original motivation for this was to respond to the boss's complaints about
printing PDF documents by saying something like: see, the Org-mode PDF files
pass the validation test, so the problem must be elsewhere (maybe your
printer).  Knowing almost nothing about PDF internals, I glommed onto the
first validation test that I came across, and, oops, my document failed
miserably.

Karl was kind enough to point out that MOST PDF documents would fail the 'A'
test, so the failure is a red herring.

To proceed with this, I need to generate a series of PDF documents and have
the boss's admin assistant try to print them.  Unfortunately, I've been
swamped with some other stuff this week and haven't had a chance to work on
this.

Thanks again,

-- Mike