Re: [O] Offer for taking over maintainership

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Offer for taking over maintainership
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:07:49 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, one of the reasons I want to step down in the long run is
> that I'm a bit frustrated of not having time enough to focus on big
> new features.  But the flow of new users and new contributors is
> rewarding enough so that maintaining Org keeps being fun :)

A good maintainer, in my opinion, does not necessarily have to be the
main contributor in term of code or features.  I more expecting him (or
her) to have good judgment and take "equilibrated" decisions, meant to
protect the overall spirit of a project and to nudge it in a sound
direction.  And of course, to have high human and communication skills.

A maintainer who always says "yes!" and consider himself (or herself) as
nothing more than a "committer" of service is likely to soon drive a
project into a drab status.  Behind anything nice, software included,
there needs to be an artist and a mind, much more than a committee.  And
almost always, an artwork never fully pleases everybody.

François