Re: [O] [RFC] Org version of the Org manual

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org version of the Org manual
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:35:05 -1000

Aloha Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala,

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Thomas,
>
>> These instructions assume more knowledge than I have. Could you be more
>> specific about "in the Org worktree"? Should I create a branch where I
>> do this? Or, should I put this in one of the upstream branches and
>> arrange to push it into the Org repo?  In any case, can you suggest a
>> location?  /contrib?  /doc?
>
> IIUC, Achim means,
>
> cd /source/directory/of/org-mode
> git clone http:github.com/tsdye/orgmanual  # or your most updated repo of
> orgmanual
>
> git submodule add orgmanual                # optional
> git commit -m "Commit Message"             # optional
>
> cd orgmanual
> Create_Makefile                            # [1]
> ln -s ../doc/org-version.inc .
>
> cd ..
> update_local.mk_file                       # [2]
> make orgmanual
>
> For me also texi2dvi failed, but orgmanual.info is generated fine and looks
> great.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, which helped me greatly.

The orgmanual now creates a pdf file, too, but one lacking the indexes
and with links that look like they need another run through TeX.

When I'm done running `make orgmanual', my directory is very neat and
tidy, which is nice, but I'll need to look at the auxiliary files used
to build the indexes, so I can debug.  Should I run texi2dvi outside
`make orgmanual', or would some other workflow better fit my needs?
Suggestions warmly welcomed.

Thanks again for your help.

All the best,
Tom