[O] Export of superscripts in LaTeX (e.g. ^1)

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Export of superscripts in LaTeX (e.g. ^1)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:27:44 -0500

Sometimes I'll insert a note in LaTeX to /sort of/ treat it like a
footnote, but in a table. Then I'll just put the notes in an itemized
list under the table like this:

#+begin_src org

| something^{1} |

*Notes*
- ^1 this is a note about something

#+end_src

I'm copying/pasting from a previous Org document, so I know this used
to work. Now, instead of a superscripted 1, it exports as 1 with a
"hat" (accented one with tiny caret above the 1).

I noticed the same for the ~ symbol. That used to just be an ugly
looking tilde. Now it's an accent.

There's surely variables to customize, but I wanted to report in case
we want this as the Org-mode default.

Thanks,
John