Re: [O] org-babel-tangle

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel-tangle
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:03:07 +0200

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Bastien,
>>
>> Guido Van Hoecke <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Bastien

>>> Of course, I should have realised this.
>>> After refreshing, the tangle process works as expected.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the noise,
>>
>> I did read the org manual very carefully before my initial post, as well
>> as after successfully applying the solution. I did not find any
>> statement about the need of such a `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' line, so
>> maybe the manual should mention this? At least it would have avoided the
>> current noise.
>>

> The info page on tangling [1], does mention that the default behavior is
> for blocks to not be tangled.
>
> ,----
> | ':tangle no'
> |      The default.  The code block is not included in the tangled output.
> `----
>
> Could you suggest a note which we could add to that page to improve
> clarity and help others avoid the same trap you fell into?

Further reading / study of the manual showed that the required info is
present at the end of section `14.1  Structure of code blocks':

,----
| <header arguments>
|
| Optional header arguments control many aspects of evaluation,
| export and tangling of code blocks (see Header arguments).
| Header arguments can also be set on a per-buffer or per-subtree
| basis using properties.
`----

And section `14.8.1 Using header arguments' is very explicit and gives
examples of all possible usages.

So the manual is very complete and only needs to be read :P

Again, sorry for the noise.

Respectfully,

Guido

--