Re: [O] No dot in datepicker dialog

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] No dot in datepicker dialog
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:04:28 +0200

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> AFAIR I was able to use "." (to jump to $today) *and*
> type "31.12." (without C-q . or similar) before.
>
> So in my opinion, it is not interfering at all: It can be solved by
> interpreting "." (as goto-today) *only* if nothing else has been
> written into the minibuffer.
>
> This way, "." jumps to today *and* the user is able to enter
> "31.12." in the minibuffer in order to jump to the last day of
> December.
> [...]

and

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> Or: would it help to restrict the special meaning of `.' as a
> reference for `today' only for the first character of the date
> picker input?
> [...]

Yes, this is how it worked and I was used to before too, very convenient.

And regarding the _echo_ of ".": I find the current behavior of not
echoing the "." confusing, as if it would be ignored when typed after
"3 1". There and also when "." is typed in the first place to jump to
today it was echoed in the prompt which I appreciated as a visual
feedback for what has actually been typed.

In other words:
- "C-c . ." _echoed_ and did what
  "C-c . C-q ." _echoes_ and does now (goto today)
- "C-c . 3 1 . 1 2 ." echoed and did what
  "C-c . 3 1 C-q . 1 2 C-q ." echoes and does now (goto Dec 31)
Reduced to these simple use cases applied on an existing past/future
timestamp the changes in Org seem strange.

Michael