Re: [O] "runaway argument" exporting: * _is_?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] "runaway argument" exporting: * _is_?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:37:16 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Greg Minshall <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> * _is_?
>>
>> exporting via "C-c C-e lO" (or, "lo"), i get an error from latex.
>>
>> if i change H:2 to H:1, all (seemingly) works.  here is a diff of the
>> .tex file generated by each H:
>>
>>> \section[\underline{is}?]{\underline{is}?}
>>> \label{sec-1}
>>
>> am i doing something wrong?  (this is fallout converting from 7.9.3f to
>> 8.)
>
> Isn't it a LaTeX limitation? What would the correct LaTeX code be in that
> case?

I have exactly similar problems with fboxes used for framing the tags (see
function `org-latex-format-headline-default-function'): I use the following
code for having nicer boxes around the tags:

  (format "\\hfill{}\\fbox{\\textsc{%s}}"

When such a code (\fbox) is put between the [], everything breaks... LaTeX
error...

AFAICS, there are 2 ways to solve this:

- not using the [] notation when the "short title" is exactly the same as the
  "long title"

- having an heuristic to clean the "long title" for converting it into a
  "short" one (like remove all LaTeX macros, keep text only -- not sure it's
  good, because the tags would be "glued" next to the title)

I guess the first point would make more sense. What do you think?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban