[O] LaTex / PDF export doesn't hyphenate

From: D. C. Toedt
Subject: [O] LaTex / PDF export doesn't hyphenate
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 15:55:09 -0500

ENVIRONMENT:  Using Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Emacs 24.3, Org-mode 7.9.1.

PROBLEM:  When I export to LaTex, there's no hyphenation.

The problem exists even when I manually insert hyphenation points with \- as shown below.

This problem exists when I process a book manuscript, and also when I process a tiny file such as the following:

=begin quote=

#+LATEX_CLASS: book

** Affiliate

a) One individual or organization ("Person") is an Affiliate of another Per\-son if, either directly or indirectly via one or more intermediaries, the first Person controls, or is controlled by, or is under common con\-trol with, the other Person.

b) For this purpose, a\nbsp{}Person controls an organization if the Person has voting control\nbsp{}--- via legal, beneficial or equitable ownership; a\nbsp{}voting agreement; or otherwise\nbsp{}--- of securities of (or other interest in) the organization having more than the Minimum Voting Percentage (51% if the Agreement does not specify otherwise) of the aggregate right to vote for the organization's board of directors or comparable governing body.

c) A\nbsp{}Person also controls an organization if the Person has a legally-enforceable right to select, or to prevent the selection, of a\nbsp{}majority of the members of that board or other body.

=end quote=

INVESTIGATION:  I looked at the buffer *Org PDF LaTex Output*; the only occurrences of any "hyphen"-related string are:

=begin quote=

Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge
rman-x-2012-05-30, ngerman-x-2012-05-30, afrikaans, ancientgreek, ibycus, arabi
c, armenian, basque, bulgarian, catalan, pinyin, coptic, croatian, czech, danis
h, dutch, ukenglish, usenglishmax, esperanto, estonian, ethiopic, farsi, finnis
h, french, friulan, galician, german, ngerman, swissgerman, monogreek, greek, h
ungarian, icelandic, assamese, bengali, gujarati, hindi, kannada, malayalam, ma
rathi, oriya, panjabi, tamil, telugu, indonesian, interlingua, irish, italian,
kurmanji, latin, latvian, lithuanian, mongolian, mongolianlmc, bokmal, nynorsk,
 polish, portuguese, romanian, romansh, russian, sanskrit, serbian, serbianc, s
lovak, slovenian, spanish, swedish, turkish, turkmen, ukrainian, uppersorbian,
welsh, loaded.

=end quote=

EXPERIMENTS:  In the course of a lot of Google-searching, I've tried, without success, the following:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[english]{babel}

and

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[english=hyphenation]{babel}

All suggestions gratefully received.

--

D. C. Toedt III  |  IP and contracts lawyer for tech companies   |  Houston (Central time)
My last name is pronounced "Tate"   |   E: address@hidden  |  O: +1 (713) 364-6545  |  C: +1 (713) 516-8968