Re: [O] GFDL

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: [O] GFDL
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 13:35:59 +1000

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden>
> writes:
>
> > FMI, why is GNU GPL not applicable to the manual?
>
> Because the manual is part of GNU Emacs, which is part of the GNU
> project, and every project in the GNU project is required to publish
> manuals in GNU FDL only. Dual licensing is not an option here.

Wow, I didn't realise the FSF policy was *that* restrictive.

Publishing the manual under both FDL and GPL should satisfy the FSF's
legitimate requirements for their work, so I don't know how they justify
refusing a manual that happens to also be published under some non-FDL
license.

Do you have a reference from some FSF official for that restriction?

> There are many discussions about this... a can of (dead) worms.

Agreed, thank you.

--
 \                “Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an |
  `\                      affirmation, but as a question.” —Niels Bohr |