Re: [O] face-at-point

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] face-at-point
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:17:57 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> "Nick" == Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>    >> > The error is[fn:1]:
>    >>
>    >> I am sorry, this is also the fault of
>    >> gnus-dired-attach
>    >>
>    >> Which by default uses this type of attachment, I have to look into it,
>    >> how to change it on demand.
>    >>
>    >>

>    > gnus-dired-attach uses mm-default-file-encoding to figure things out.
>
> I tried to generalize this function so that it optionally takes the type
> as an argument. Too complicated.

Eric Fraga has been prolific in providing solutions to these problems
today. In addition to the client side solution ("Use v instead of t")
which solves the problem on the recipient's side, he provided another
solution (which I have used in the past, but I forgot all about it until
I saw Eric's reply to your question in the gnus mailing list) that
solves the problem on the sender's side: let gnus-dired-attach default
to whatever it bloody well pleases - the attachment cookie it inserts in
the mail you are composing is just text (until you hit C-c C-c and then
it becomes a "real" attachment), so if the type is not to your liking,
you can go ahead and edit it at will (I've stripped out parts of the
cookie, so it won't be mistaken as a real attachment - I'm not sure
how to quote it so that it won't be recognized):

... type="application/octet-stream" filename="~/Desktop/foo"
disposition=attachment description=Hunoz>

... type="text/plain" filename="~/Desktop/foo" disposition=attachment
description=Hunoz>

Another instance of the "Your life in plain text" principle.

I thought I'd post a note with Eric's solution here, just to close the
loop all the way. Here is a reference to his reply:

     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83319/focus=83320

Thanks, Eric!

--
Nick