Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments

From: Paul Stansell
Subject: Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:45:32 +0000 (UTC)

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> azw <at> fastmail.fm (Albert Z. Wang) writes:
>
> > Thanks for the clarification!  Is there an easy way to have them be
> > treated as full-fledged environments?  I usually prefer to use the above
> > for unnumbered display equations since it reduces visual clutter and
> > looks closer to the intent.
>
> No, there's no easy way.
>
> Making \[...\] an element would mean that \[...\] cannot exist anymore
> within a paragraph. I'm not sure it's worth it.
>
> Also, I think it's good, in this case, to have both an inlined and
> a non-inlined version for the same thing.
>
> Regards,

Hi Nicolas,

I hope you don't mind me giving my view on this so long after the initial
posts, but I been trying, without success, to get fill-paragraph to
recognise \[...\] as boundaries to it's function.

You say in your post

> Making \[...\] an element would mean that \[...\] cannot exist anymore
> within a paragraph. I'm not sure it's worth it.
>
> Also, I think it's good, in this case, to have both an inlined and
> a non-inlined version for the same thing.

In Lamport's book on Latex he explains that \[...\] is for display style
maths, that is, for maths that is not inside a paragraph but presented on
it's own line.  Inside a paragraph one should use $...$ or \(...\) as they
are for inline equations (and Latex treats them the same).  For display
style maths Latex uses

\begin{displaymath}
\end{displaymath}

and, for less typing,

\[
\]

and both are treated the same, ie., both produce the exact same output in
the processed latex document.

This being the case, my wish would be to see org mode treat

\[
\]

the same as

\begin{displaymath}