Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] fill paragraph: math and latex environments
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:16:37 +0200

Hello,

Paul Stansell <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> Making \[...\] an element would mean that \[...\] cannot exist anymore
>> within a paragraph. I'm not sure it's worth it.
>>
>> Also, I think it's good, in this case, to have both an inlined and
>> a non-inlined version for the same thing.
>
> In Lamport's book on Latex he explains that \[...\] is for display style
> maths, that is, for maths that is not inside a paragraph but presented on
> it's own line.  Inside a paragraph one should use $...$ or \(...\) as they
> are for inline equations (and Latex treats them the same).  For display
> style maths Latex uses
>
> \begin{displaymath}
> \end{displaymath}
>
> and, for less typing,
>
> \[
> \]
>
> and both are treated the same, ie., both produce the exact same output in
> the processed latex document.
>
> This being the case, my wish would be to see org mode treat
>
> \[
> \]
>
> the same as
>
> \begin{displaymath}
> \end{displaymath}
>
> and not fill past it's boundaries.

If we allow \[...\] constructs to be an element, they cannot be
recognized as such within paragraphs. So

  Some text \[1+1\] and some other text

will not be recognized anymore, even though any latex editing mode
supports it. Again, I think it's not worth loosing it.

Also, using \begin{...}...\end{...} environments is not really an issue
with editing facilities in Emacs (e.g., yasnippets).

Nicolas Goaziou