Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:44:23 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 09:52:26AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
> >> are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
> >> is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
> >> console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> >> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> >> is running on such a desktop.
> >
> > Hi Achim,
> >
> > thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know how I
> > would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system, but that will
> > also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even though xdg-open
> > would be working in this case.
>
> On the other hand, I guess mailcap would suffer from the same problems with
> console and other non-desktop terminals?

Indeed!  I tried to breakdown the cases for emacs running in the
terminal in my other response[1].  My conclusion was unless someone is
running in a true (graphicsless) terminal, or a remote session without X
forwarding, it should work.  And for these two cases, the user is aware
there is no GUI available, so it does not make sense for the user to
"export and open".

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] <http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden>