Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n > 2)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 14:31:42 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 12:00:02PM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> address@hidden writes:
>>
>> > I think this would be a wonderful addition to Worg.  Probably the FAQ is
>> > more appropriate (under "Tips and Tricks") since this is one of most
>> > commonly asked questions on the list.  On the other hand, if you think
>> > covering this topic requires more than just a few lines, a longer entry
>> > or short article in the config section would be more appropriate.
>>
>> I can't promise anything, but I can try to write something. What
>> external merging tool should I use?
>
> I think the most appropriate tool would be org-merge-driver.  But I'm
> not sure how reliable it is.  That said, what might be nicer is if you
> treat the external tool bits generically.  Then people can choose their
> own tools in the future; also that will probably be less work for you
> since you don't have to figure out the details of the external merging
> tool yourself.

It makes sense.

> What I'm after is having all the Unison config bits on Worg, then people
> choose how they want to use it:
> 1. plain sync,
> 2. sync with merging (with their own choice of tools)
>
> I or someone else could then add the Dropbox like, and "version control
> (Git) way" of syncing.  This would then be a fairly complete FAQ on
> synchronisation questions.  Does that seem feasible to you?

I've been playing with the merging using ediff, and it works. I'll
explain it here, and depending on the feedback, I'll put it on worg.

Alan

* Synchronizing org files with Unison

This describes how to synchronize org files using the
[[http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/][Unison file synchronizer]],
as well as how to configure it to use an external tool to merge conflicting
edits.

** Prerequisites

You should have Unison up and running. Binaries can be found
[[http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download.html][here]] and the
documentation is
[[http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html][here]].

** Synchronization

Unison is a file synchronizer, thus it may be used to synchronize org files. To
configure Unison, on uses a /profile/ which states where the things to
synchronize are as well as some options. Assuming I want to synchronize the
files in ~/Users/schmitta/dir1~ and ~/Users/schmitta/dir2~, the profile would
look like this

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
root = /Users/schmitta/dir1
root = /Users/schmitta/dir2
#+END_EXAMPLE

In most cases Unison will be used with a remote machine. The local machine is
called the /client/ and the remote one the /server/. For such remote
synchronization, the ~unison~ binary must be installed in the server as
well. The simplest way to connect to the machine is using ssh. One should check
that unison can be found there by doing ~ssh address@hidden unison -version~. If
~unison~ cannot be found in the path, one may set the ~servercmd~ option as
indicated in the next example.

(Please see the
[[http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#roots][manual
 section on roots]] for further details.)

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
root = /Users/schmitta/dir1
root = ssh://address@hidden/relative/path/to/dir2

servercmd = /usr/bin/unison
#+END_EXAMPLE

** Merging

As Unison works on the level of files, it will trigger a /conflict/ if both
files have changed since the last synchronization. In that case one can only
choose which file to keep, which is not satisfying. Unison offers the
possibility to use external tools to merge the files. There is an
[[http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#merge][extensive
manual section]] regarding this, we'll just describe how to use emacs and ediff
do it.

For better merging, we will ask unison to keep the last synchronized version of
every org file on the client; this way we can use ediff with ancestor. These
~currentbackup~ files may live alongside the synchronized files (with names of
the form ~.bak.version.name~, which is configurable) or in a central location.

Here is the modified configuration file.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
root = /Users/schmitta/dir1
root = ssh://address@hidden/relative/path/to/dir2

servercmd = /usr/bin/unison

backupcurrent = Name *.org
backuplocation = local
maxbackups = 0

merge = Name *.org -> emacsclient -c --eval '(ediff-merge-files-with-ancestor
"CURRENT1" "CURRENT2" "CURRENTARCH" nil "NEW")'

#+END_EXAMPLE

The ~backupcurrent~ option tells unison to keep a backup of the last
synchronized version of ever file with an ~org~ extension. The location of the
backup should be local (alongside the file). Finally, no other backup should be
created.

Next follows the merge command. For every org file in conflict, use the command
that launches a new emacs frame calling the ediff with ancestor function. The
~CURRENT1~, ~CURRENT2~, and ~CURRENTARCH~ strings are  replaced with the file
from the first root, the file from the second root, and the last synchronized
version. The ~NEW~ file is where Unison expects the file to be saved (which will
be done by the ediff session).

Thus, when an org file has been modified on both hosts, an ediff session will be
launched in a new frame. Closing the frame will make Unison commit the merge (it
waits until the command has finished).

If one does not want to use backups, it's possible to use the simpler ediff
(without ancestor) command as follows.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
root = /Users/schmitta/dir1
root = ssh://address@hidden/relative/path/to/dir2

servercmd = /usr/bin/unison

merge = Name *.org -> emacsclient -c --eval '(ediff-merge-files "CURRENT1"
"CURRENT2" nil "NEW")'

#+END_EXAMPLE