Re: [O] [export] Should sidewaystable option automatically add rotating

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] [export] Should sidewaystable option automatically add rotating package?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:30:32 +0200

> On 11.9.2013, at 14:08, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,

>>> My 2ยข:
>>>
>>> I think the policy is that the ox-latex ain't going to track packages.
>>> Aaron made some patches for this some time ago, but they weren't
>>> included.
>>>
>>> So the question is should it be a default package?
>>>
>>> I think not.  E.g. tabu isn't loaded.  Amsmath isn't loaded if you
>>> generate a matrix.
>>
>> Okay.  I can live with this!
>>
>> I guess it would help if the documentation indicated when additional
>> packages may be required.  I had to do an internet search to find out I
>> needed the rotating package for the sidewaystable option described in
>> the org info pages.
>
> Well, this is documented on the LaTeX pages.  Why would you duplicate this
> in Org's documentation?  And What part of the LaTeX documentation exactly?

It certainly is, but the beauty of org is that it hides some of the
nitty-gritty to write LaTeX files (and odt - even more so).

One part would be 12.7.4 - LaTeX specific attributes.

It states:

,----
| :placement
| Float environment for the table. Possible values are
| sidewaystable, multicolumn, t and nil. When unspecified, a table with a
| caption will have a table environment. Moreover, :placement attribute
| can specify the positioning of the float.
`----

An addition like:

,----
| For some options, additional LaTeX packages need to be loaded. Please
| see LaTeX documentation for details.
`----

Would suffice, and be general enough.

Cheers,

Rainer

>>> Also, a kitten dies every time the length of
>>> org-latex-default-packages-alist increases!
>
> That is a terrible thought. :)
>

>> ;-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> eric
>>
>> --
>> : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-7-gaecdf5

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Rainer M. Krug

email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com