Re: [O] [export] Should sidewaystable option automatically add rotating

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] [export] Should sidewaystable option automatically add rotating package?
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:22:47 +0200

On 12.9.2013, at 19:42, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So the question is should it be a default package?
>>
>> I think not.  E.g. tabu isn't loaded.  Amsmath isn't loaded if you
>> generate a matrix.
>
> I think the "tabu" case (and longtable...) is different from "rotating".
>
> No feature in Org requires "tabu" or "longtable" unless user explicitly
> writes "tabu" or "longtable" somewhere in the buffer (i.e.
> in :environment attribute).
>
> On the other hand, "rotating" or "wrapfig" may be needed without the
> user knowing about it (e.g. when setting :float or :wrap attributes).
>
> Therefore, I think "wrapfig" and "rotating" belong to the same boat.
> Either we require them both in default packages, or we do not require
> any and add a footnote about it in the manual. I have no preference.
>
> On the same line, we could remove "longtable" from
> `org-latex-default-packages-alist', if only to spare a few kittens.

Since we are the people who control Org, we can do what we
find convenient. I think longtable was added because I personally
use it often and find it convenient to have it in the default.
I am fine with adding both wrapfig and rotating as long as they do
not cause issues with other packages often used.  LaTeX is so fast
these days that it is not harmful to load a few more packages - as
long as no conflicts arise.

- Carsten