[O] different toc levels per headline?

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: [O] different toc levels per headline?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:01:30 +0100

    Table of Contents
    _________________

    1 h1 no options
    2 h1 toc:1
    .. 2.1 h2
    3 h1 toc:2
    .. 3.1 h2
    ..... 3.1.1 h3

In otherwise, I would expect the EXPORT_OPTIONS in the subtrees to
override the file-wide setting for `toc'.  This expectation is based
on what the manual says:

    Export options can be set: globally with variables; for an
    individual file by making variables buffer-local with in-buffer
    settings (*note In-buffer settings::), by setting individual
    keywords, or by specifying them in a compact form with the
    `#+OPTIONS' keyword; or for a tree by setting properties (*note

    Properties and Columns::).  Options set at a specific level
    override options set at a more general level.

However instead I get:

    Table of Contents

    1 h1 no options
    2 h1 toc:1
    3 h1 toc:2

What am I missing, and is there another way to vary the toc level per
subtree?

Thanks!
Adam