Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:06:12 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> today I looked at our tutorial page at
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html
>
> and came away with the feeling that that this page has become
> somewhat useless for people who are really new to Org.  I think
> the page should start with a section of true recommendations
> for beginners, a path we tell every new users to take in order to
> learn about Org mode.
>
> Can we have a discussion here on how this path should look like?
> When you came to Org-mode as a newby, what were the three resources
> that really made an impression on by being accessible and
> providing feel and promise for digging deeper?

Dear Carsten,

For me it was one resource: the compact guide. I found it well written, with
links to additional info if I needed it, and structured in such a way that I
could really start using immediately what I was most interested in at the moment
(initially outlines and scheduling). [Some context: I came to org looking for
the outlines and scheduling, and a vague desire for literate programming,
because I wanted these features fully within Emacs, after having played with Leo
---http://leoeditor.com/--- for around a year].

To see what I might feel today, I just went to the first hit I get in google for
org mode (which is, of course, http://orgmode.org/) and still find the compact
guide. But maybe it would be good to emphasize it a bit more (there are ten
lines of text, and the compact guide is the fifth). As well, a link to the
compact guide might be added from the org-tutorial page.

Finally, regarding the org-tutorial page, as it has already been mentioned in
this thread, videos might not be the best vehicle for everyone (certainly not
for me ---I'd rather read text where I can adjust the pace to that of my
brain). Sacha's "Outlining your notes with org" made a lasting impression,
though (but Sacha's blog entry was written after I read the compact guide,
IIRC).

Best (and thanks for org),

R.

--