Re: [O] capture, attach, link files from web

From: Oleh
Subject: Re: [O] capture, attach, link files from web
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:28:25 +0200

Hi Myles,

Just a note, I think that there's an advantage to keep the attachments
in sync with org files. This way they're never lost and are available wherever the org file is available.
My system is a Firefox plugin that copies to clipboard the file name

[D Gawin, L Sanavia] Simulation of cavitation in water saturated porous media considering effects of dissolved air(2010).pdf

when I right click in google scholar. Then I can save the file with this name where I like.

When it's necessary, I can capture it from a dired buffer in Emacs.

Then the todo item will be:

* TODO Read "Simulation of cavitation in water saturated porous media considering effects of dissolved air" by D Gawin, L Sanavia

Since this file is an org attachment, it's synchronized along with
my whole org folder to my laptop.

regards,
Oleh

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Myles English <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Oleh,

ohwoeowho writes:

> I counter your tip with my own on capturing pdfs.
> Maybe you'll find some of this stuff useful for your case.

My use case is slightly different: I am looking for pictures and want to
"insert a picture right here to show up in the exported document", and I
have a different solution to the use case you describe, but thanks, it
is useful to see how to attach files via capture templates.

I get almost the same result as you but get there in a different way;
using zotero as the capture mechanism, exporting from zotero to a bibtex
file[1], hacking reftex[2] to supply a file path and then end up with a
nice TODO with a clickable link in the properties to open the pdf.

* \cite{gawin_simulation_2009} - Simulation of Cavitation in Water Saturated Porous Media Considering Effects of Dissolved Air
:PROPERTIES:
:Created: <2013-03-05 Tue 14:13>
:Custom_ID: gawin_simulation_2009
:file: [[library:/home/myles/.mozilla/firefox/5p1jxjph.default/zotero/storage/4RTT5M3F/Gawin%20and%20Sanavia%20-%20Simulation%20of%20Cavitation%20in%20Water%20Saturated%20Porous.pdf][file]]
:bib: [[bib:gawin_simulation_2009][bib]]
:END:

The only pain is that I have to patch reftex-cite.el every time it is
overwritten as I can't get my patch accepted due to a dead project.

Myles

Footnotes:
[1]  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-06/msg00503.html

[2]  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2012-06/msg00002.html