Re: [O] Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Markup (blod for instance) over line breaks
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:22:47 +0200

Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 21:58:20
Dror Atariah <address@hidden> napisał(a):

> On Oct 13, 2013, at 21:38 PM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > Dnia 2013-10-13, o godz. 20:49:30
> > Dror Atariah <address@hidden> napisał(a):
> >
> >> Dear org-moders,
> >>
> >> It might be terribly simple, but I failed to find a solution. How
> >> can I mark several words as bold (or emphasized or any similar
> >> markup), in particular if the words spans over *more then one
> >> line*?
> >>
> >> A similar problem can occur when one is pasting a long line into an
> >> org-mode buffer and then, after it is being broken into shorter
> >> lines, you try to make it bold.
> >>
> >> The documentation
> >> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Emphasis-and-monospace) states that
> >> this kind of markup is aimed at words - so it might not support
> >> sentences and in particular long ones... Is it correct?
> >
> > Not really an answer, but does visual-line-mode help in your use
> > case?
> It does help. Doesn't org-mode has some sort of dedicated
> line-breaking mechanism? How would you turn it into a complete
> solution?

Not that I know of.  Basically, "lines" may be /visual/ (i.e., broken by
the display engine at spaces etc., but the whole paragraph is one long
line in the file) or /physical/ (i.e., with newline characters at the
end of each line).  In Emacs, you an use M-q to "fill" a paragraph
(more or less, convert from visual to physical lines), and something
along the lines of C-u 9 9 9 9 9 C-x f M-q to "unfill" a paragraph.
(There are also "unfill" functions (quod google), though they are not
part of stock Emacs.)

There is an ongoing discussion on which is better, too long to repeat
any of the arguments here.  For a LaTeX-centric approach, see e.g.
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4376/good-strategy-for-line-breaks-with-paragraphs-of-latex-source
(note that Emacs's longline-mode was a predecessor of visual-line-mode).

And indeed, bold/italic spanning more than a few words might not be a
good idea.  And in cases it is, it's problably better to define a
specialized "environment" (in LaTeX lingo) - like one for theorems
(which are often typeset in italics).

> Best,
> Dror

Best,