Re: [O] Exporting book handouts

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting book handouts
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:01:06 +0200

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Jarmo,

Greetings to Hawaii from the dark and cold north.

> I find it easiest to use separate sub-trees for the various different
> documents I create from a given body of material.  In your case, I
> would make a sub-tree for the book and a sub-tree for the handout.  If
> I try to create two different documents under the same heading, the
> complexity overwhelms me.

I can also foresee problems with interleaving two documents, but I will
take some complexity over duplication any day. However, your approach
with named elements and reusable functions does appeal to me.

What is the mechanism you use to select the subtrees that you are
exporting? Are you employing SELECT_TAGS or something else?

> Where possible, I #+name: the elements that will be used in more than
> one place and then use #+call: lines to place them where I want.

Great tip, thanks.

> I don't know off-hand the full list of elements that can be named and
> echoed this way.

I am in the process of starting to write a new section, so I will try it
out. For equations etc. it would also be possible to define LaTeX macros
for reuse.

Thanks a lot!

Jarmo