Re: [O] feature request/discussion: org-forms

From: khaije rock
Subject: Re: [O] feature request/discussion: org-forms
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:09:55 -0500

On Jan 4, 2014 9:21 AM, "Bastien" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Khaije,
>
> khaije rock <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've found on some occasions that I wish for the ability to simply
> > export my org-mode notes, (procedural instructions, status/inventory
> > tables, work log)  into a simple fill-able form, (w/ content derived
> > from the enclosed content and properties), and either print it or
> > record inputs directly through the form in some organized way, (to a
> > table perhaps) [fn:1] into emacs.
>
> If I understand correctly, you may want "templates" -- i.e. an entry
> skeleton that you can use for inserting data.
>
> You might be interested in yasnippet:
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Yasnippet
>
> For something fancier like Org entry->HTML form, I guess you'll have
> to hack something together.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
>  Bastien

With your response it now occurs to me that much of this functionality is indeed available with the combination of a set of custom captures, and column-view mode for spot editing.

The glue would be:
(1) a "composite state" report block to parse the capture files as a kind of log, and display the latest data for each changed field, grouped by item (as some uniqe id)
(2) additionally some ability to load the composite state in (1) into the capture buffer in order to ease editing relative to the current state.

I don't have much free time and my elisp is rudimentary, but I will work on this as a hobby project and will happily share once useful. Additionally, since I can never assume org-mode *doesnt* have certain functionality, could someone indicate if significant portion of the "glue" portion exists already?

An analogy of my view on this project is to use a capture log as a tlog in order to compose records as report tables.
As always I'm interested to know if this effort is redundant a/o misguided?

Cheers,

ps. I'll look into org->html if I can put together the basics